6.05.2009

On Still Believing

We're watching Saving Private Ryan  this D-Day.  It's too difficult to watch, too horrifying, too sad.  It puts us to tears.  We're thinking about the Allied invasion of Normandy, remembering World War II.  It's a sobering thought-- what's happened in the history of mankind, what's still happening in many parts of the world.  I couldn't imagine living in fear, in chaos, violence, and despair.  God is truly our only refuge...  It makes one  think about making the lives we live count and for always being forever grateful.

I should read The Diary of Anne Frank again, it's been many years and it's always good to remind ourselves never to forget...     
"It’s a wonder I haven’t abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart. 

It’s utterly impossible for me to build my life on a foundation of chaos, suffering and death. I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty too shall end, that peace and tranquility will return once more" - July 15, 1944

1 comment:

Celestina in California said...

I should read this book, too. It is so heart-wrenching. Thank you for sharing.