
I caught the last hours of the Ann Arbor Antiques Market before it closed for season. It's a place visited by both dealers and collectors nationwide, Rachel Ashwell included. I took home only one item, an old hula instructional magazine (a gift for my hula teacher). The thing I really wanted went home with another admirer, a set of old white wooden candlestick holders. Lesson of the day: When you find something you really like and can afford, don't think twice about buying. I made the mistake of turning away the first time and was too late when I returned the second time... The dealer was a sweet old man who even gave me a little hope by letting me know to hang around for a few minutes in the event the lady who went to get cash for her purchase fail to return. No such luck of course. Him and I both shared a disappointing grin as I bid him "goodbye and see you in the spring"! So I wanted to share this because it gave me a chance to introduce a couple of things: The Victoria magazine adored by Jean and myself since I can remember. It features antiquing in Montreal and Quebec City. Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic and her new Prairie Collection. These pieces are similar items often found at the Ann Arbor Antiques Market.
Hope you too will head out there in the chill of autumn even for just a few hours to go antiquing in search of a little treasure for your home. Just keep in mind my lesson learned. (wink)
4 comments:
Ahh yes, and I still regret the day I tossed all my old Victoria magazines from the early 90's on!! Regrets are awful things.
I share your regret... The only old issue I kept which I treasure now is from Sept. 2002- a special French edition. That's were I discovered Dorie Greenspan's "Paris Sweets".
I was a beneficiary of a woman who turned away the first time. We were in Santa Fe where all of the jewelry artisans sell their handmade pieces on a patio. I had admired a lapis and sterling silver bracelet as a woman kept trying it on and taking it off. As soon as she put it down and walked away, I put it on my wrist and handed over the cash. She turned around in time to see the transaction, and gave me a look of anger mixed with regret. I, on the other hand, had a very nice bracelet.
It's the competitor in me, to be sure. But if I do miss a good sale or treasure, I always say to myself, "That item has found a good home and it was not meant to be. Something better will come along."
Hey, I think I've seen that pretty bracelet on you! I can totally picture you in the hunt for a great find. I've seen you shop in action, you're very decisive. LOL! If there was ever a shopping spree game, I'm definitely signing up for Team Ate Jing-Jing. : )
Post a Comment