Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians 4:8
This morning we woke up to another rainy day. It was delightful. The rain has always been my friend and today I got to thinking… What is it about my friend's company that I enjoy so much?
The past many days have been fixed on my work project; in an office space surrounded by an atmosphere of unpleasant politics currently at play. Although home provides a refuge from it all, regrettably it has been invaded by work. Take-outs have replaced home-cooked meals and gardening postponed. Even though prayers have been lifted more often than usual, they have become concise.
So it came to me…

My friend, the rain reminded me of this.
That is the reason I enjoy rainy days so much. It requires me to be still and listen. There is nothing more relaxing than hearing the water fall from the sky and watching the ground become refreshed by it. It has the same impact on me. My mind is renewed and once again open to embrace God’s grace. I think. I re-examine. I pray. I thank God for bringing the rain and restoring my soul.
There will be no assignments to take home tonight and no talks about affairs of work. Instead, there will be:
cooking supper (preparing chicken adobo),
weeding the yard,
harvesting of strawberries,
extended prayers above;
and if I'm lucky, all be will accompanied by a little fall of rain.
4 comments:
Hi Michelle,
I'm thinking, since you never posted it, that you did not receive my original comment to this post. I just wanted to share how I really liked the photo of you with your umbrella at the end of your walkway. There's something wistful about it.
Pooh-I didn't recieve your note, so thanks for reiterating it. It's still raining here and I thought the rainy season was over.
You wanna know something funny? I think I caught myself smiling for this picture. Am I silly or what? Thanks again for the compliment.
Hi Michelle,
I'm catching up on your beautiful blog site. Happy to see that the baby shower went well--looks like I missed a wonderful extravaganza. Would have been a dramatic to view from my front yard.
I am primarily writing because I must have your recipe for Chicken Adobo. Johannes and I ate this non-stop on a trip to Belize. I have tried making it many times but seem to be missing the mark on the spices. I have a Nigerian version which is good but just not the same. (once again, feels shameful communicating by web when I could yell from my door to talk to you--what can I say; I'm a hermit).
Welcome home Kristi! I hope you had a relaxing and great vacation in NC. Glad you enjoyed the pictures from the baby shower, wish you were here to join us...
About the Adobo recipe, I'd be glad to share it with you. Although it will have to wait until I make it again so I can measure the ingredients because I never do. Also, the version of the dish I make is a Filipino version so I'm not sure if it will be close to how the Belizeans make it. Nonetheless, I will cook it, have you try it, and give you the recipe.
Lastly, I just want to say how wonderful it is to see you comment here. I didn't know you actually check in here once in a while, that's sweet of you. Being a hermit is not such a bad thing, as you know nesting at home is my favorite thing to do too.
See you soon.
Post a Comment