2.01.2009

Atticus Finch, My Hero

There are just some kind of men who- who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.  Miss Maudie
It's a shame I waited this long to read this novel.  Scout's storytelling was both engrossing and sincere.  This novel is a fundamental reminder of our nation's history and struggle with racial inequality.  How fitting that I share this today, the first day of Black History Month.  As far as I'm concerned, Atticus exemplifies all that is good and just in a human being.  We all need a hero like that.   Thank you Ms. Nelle Harper Lee.

They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.  
Atticus Finch

Did I mention this is one of my husband's favorite book?  To this day, he treasures his paperback copy dating back to his 8th grade.  It's quite endearing really.  Among his many scribbles in the book, on the last page he noted: finished 5/11/87  8:17 p.m.  He was so enthusiastic about my reading that he even read for me one night.  Perhaps he'll take a break from his studies and join me to watch the movie too.

4 comments:

michelle said...

marmar said...
yes i did watch this movie ate back in high school and i liked this book too compared to tom sawyer...

*********
hi ting!
i thought about picking-up tom sawyer too. for now i'm on to albert camus' "the stranger". thanks for the feedback. : )

Anonymous said...

It's such a good book. I especially loved Boo Radley's character...it's a perfect example of the times, however, not much has changed today.

AngiDe said...

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that you feature is up on Nana's Box! Thanks again for sharing your story!

XO

michelle said...

Hi Angie,
Your post at Nana's Box really touched my heart. I can't say enough about how much of an inspiration you have been to me as my hula teacher, cancer fighter, and good friend.

Much love,
Michelle