2.11.2009

An evening with Professor Doris

We took a break from study and workload tonight to sit in, listen, and learn from our dearest friend David (well, you all know the Doris' next door is really part of our family) who presented at our downtown library in honor of Black History Month.  

Listening to David speak about the art and culture of the Yoruba people in southwestern Nigeria was both engrossing and educational, especially since Patrick and I are not familiar with African Studies.  Suffice it to say, we walked away with a greater appreciation for their culture and traditions.  I think one of the memorable parts for me was learning about "Olumeye": one who knows honor.  As a Filipino-American, I am cognizant of my heritage and respect my ancestry. (Respect is highly regarded in our culture.  You may have even noticed that carried on here when I refer to my older sister or older cousins as "Ate"; a title given to an older sister or older female member of the family as a sign of respect.  I too, am referred by my younger brother and cousins in this way.)  I may not carry all the traditions with me, but because they still play an active role in the lives of my families, they remain a part of me.  It's good be reminded of these things.  Anyhow...

David: Thanks for a lovely evening.  You're a remarkable speaker.  It was thrilling to hear the story behind these pictures from the Southern Review.  We'll look forward to the publishing of your book.
   

Photography by David T. Doris, PhD

No comments: