8.16.2008

Chicken Adobo

What's for dinner tonight? Remembering a request from my neighbor and friend back in June, I decided to cook adobo and measure the ingredients....
For Kristi

There are many versions of the adobo dish. At least for the Filipino version, each household has their own way of cooking it.  This is my very simple and easy version.  I used boneless chicken because that's what my hubby prefers but I think it's best otherwise.

Chicken Adobo 
Prep time: 5 mins.
Cooking time: 30 mins.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp canola oil
6 garlic cloves (chopped)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (washed and cut into small pieces)
1 small sweet onion (julliened)
2 tbsp vinegar
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tbsp peppercorn
1 1/4 c water
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tbsp dark brown sugar 

Instructions:
Using a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until light brown in color. Increase the heat to medium high and add the chicken, saute until browned well.  Decrease the temperature back to medium heat.  Add the onion, vinegar, soy sauce, peppercorn, water, bay leaves and stir.  Simmer for 15 mins. Add the sugar. Simmer for another 15 mins. until chicken is cooked. 

(Depending on how small or large you'll make this dish, the trick is to find the balance between the vinegar and soy sauce; adding sugar and water in between if you find it too sour or too salty.)

Serve with white rice. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe...I guess I won't have any reason not to make it. I need to start using my kitchen more. You are inspiring me on a daily basis.

happy cooking to me...

KVH said...

Thank you to sweet Michelle for running over a portion of her Chicken Adobo. It was delicious! Plus was such a wonderful surprise and a much better dinner than the bowl of cereal I was planning. I am so happy to have the recipe and plan on making it next time I have family over for dinner

Michelle also brought me some banana crepes that were incredible. Warm, crispy and sugary. I am so lucky to have Michelle as a neighbor!

michelle said...

Kristi, you're making be blush! : ) I'm so happy to have you as my neighbor too. I love, love your cottage home. Oh about the food, you're welcome!

michelle said...

Ate Delsa,
Your kitchen is too lovely to be abandoned. Yes you must clear a little time out of your busy schedule for a little homemaking which I know you're great at.

Muah,
Michelle