4.09.2009

Images from a Luau

Sharing a few photos from this evening's wonderful luau...

Excerpts from Hula in Hawaii by Susan Breslow Sardone:
Hula, which began in Hawaii as a sacred ritual,
has over time flourished into an art form.
Accompanied only by voice or percussion instruments...
hula dancers used their bodies to express the wondrous
legends of the Hawaiian islands.
Every hula movement has a specific meaning.
Different gestures symbolizes flowers,
animals, even conflict and war.
With expressive hands and undulating hips, a hula dancer
can evoke a palm frond in the breeze...
Traditional hula narratives tell a story.
Hula is the heartbeat of the Hawaiian people.
King David Kalakaua
Looking forward to the Spring Hula Class!

5 comments:

AngiDe said...

Gorgeous pictures and a wonderful post! I can't wait to see the rest!

XO

Nana said...

I love the pics of the hula class.
Keep up the hula lessons.

michelle said...

Mother & daughter comments... I love it! : ) Thanks for the encouragement with the lessons. I'll be taking it as long as Angie's teaching.

Molly said...

I don't know you but I am a friend of Angie's, (who is such an amazing person, as I'm sure you know!!) so I linked to you from her blog. Just wanted to let you know I think these pictures are great! Looks like everyone is having a wonderful time.
Molly

michelle said...

Hello Molly. You are such a sweetheart to drop me a note here, thank you! Yes, I couldn't agree more about Angie. : ) Our luau events at the end of each semester are a lot of fun. Have a wonderful weekend.