Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh!" he whispered.
"Yes Piglet?"
"Nothing" said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw.
"I just wanted to be sure of you."
Winnie the Pooh
Let me preface this entry by saying that my husband's health is in excellent condition. We had quite the scare this weekend when he was taken to the Emergency Department. He experienced severe chest pain while at work. Thankfully, he was surrounded by medical professionals during the incident and received immediate medical attention. After running some tests to rule out potential cardio and pulmonary problems, as well as a long observation stay, he was discharged with the diagnosis of possible muscle strain.
I stayed by my husband's side for eight hours and during this ordeal, I held his hand, kissed his brow, gave him water to drink, watched him sleep, laid my head on his chest, and watched the waves of his heart muscle go by on the EKG machine. We both knew that he would be fine, even the physicians who took care of him thought so; the tests and observation were merely standard medical protocols for his symptom. So it was not really his medical state that we both pondered about during this time. There was a moment where he opened his eyes and asked me, "Will you stay with me like this when we grow old?" To which I replied, "What a silly question! Of course!" Now that I think of it, it really wasn't such a silly question after all. When we are at our most vulnerable state, being reassured that our other half will always be there makes a world of difference. So as I watched the waves go by, I thought to myself that's my heart on the monitor. At that moment, I too felt reassured because I knew we were halves of a whole person, my husband and I; and the world will be just fine. Thank God for marriage.
Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Genesis 2:24
I would like to acknowledge Patrick's colleague and friend, Leo who truly went above and beyond for us that night. As a charge nurse during that shift, he managed to go back and forth from the two units to look after Patrick while taking care of the rest of the crew. He stayed late with us knowing that he would only have but a few hours of sleep before taking on another busy shift the following early morning. This verse reminded me of Leo... James 2:18 But someone will say, " 'You have faith and I have works.' Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
12 comments:
My goodness, that's quite a scare! Wow, sorry you guys had to go through that.
Were you able to find out the cause of the muscle strain? Is it preventable?
Oh Michelle, your love for each other is very evident, it's even nicer reading about it! Thank you for this blog. It gives your extended family here a venue to keep us updated, and fast!
As for what you went through, it just reminds me that it's truly one of God's wills to have us find a partner in life & marriage. When He does bring you to that person, he provides that person as a gift to you. Isn't it wonderful to know that God bestowed this gift to complete you and be your guide in sickness and in health? I feel we all need this reminder every now and then, just like Patrick.
Thank you for sharing your private moment, and please tell Patrick we're praying for his health and speedy recovery.
Michelle, this is truly touching! It really causes you to reconsider those precious vows..."in sickness and in health" and to realize just how meaningful it is. Proverbs 18:2 says that "He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." Pat found a good thing when he found you!
Wow, sorry to hear about your weekend but I'm glad that Patrick is okey. Please him know that he will be in my prayer.
Hello Everyone,
I knew I was fine, but people at work were concerned so I went to the ER just in case. At the very least I know I am in good health. That was the first time I was on the other side of a hospital bed and it was weird! Nurses do make the worst patients! I was watching and analyzing everything they were doing to me. I refused IV pain medicine because I didn't think I needed it. I just took Motrin...
Thank you all for your concern and prayers. And thank you Michelle for writing very touching and loving words about what you were going through while waiting with me...
Love,
p
To My Wife,
I love you so very much. I say it to you often but I don't say it enough for everyone to hear. You have always been my rock, my anchor, & my reason for being a better person. If I have done anything worthy in my life, it is because you are there supporting me. You know I love you. And now I hope everyone else does, too.
With all my heart,
Patrick
Gosh...is this a love story blog...
I'm really glad you are okey Patrick.
love you guys and take care always.
that was scary and im glad that k.pat is okay and it turned out to be a muscle strain :o).
miss u both...
btw when are you coming to visit???
You guys are so thoughtful to comment right away... This is a nice forum to get news out immediately. Patrick didn't mention, although really unknown, the physicians believe the strain was either caused by recent martial arts activity and/or handling heavy patients at his work. He is doing a lot more stretching now. I hope this wasn't too lovey-duvey : ) for you all to read. Honestly, I had trouble reading this post because I seemed to get teary eyed about the incident. I'm touched to see that although my man has a tough exterior, he has a tender heart. (I'm sure like the men in your lives. Right Vince? : ) Much love to you all.
Ting- Your kuya and I do have to plan a visit there soon. Especially to see Lola Mommy. We're going to try to do so this year.
Wow, I am so relieved that Pat is ok. Thank you for clarifying everything.
And thank you for sharing this private moment, it truly was touching. It even made me tear a little. It definitely wasn't too lovey dovey...it's actually encouraging to hear about these real moments of love and to know that they exist outside movies, books or TV. What you two have is true and wonderful and God blessed.
Miss you guys...take care!
that would be sweet ate...make sure you save some time off for next year too, sometime in the summer ok...
about lola, she's been admitted to the hosp since yesterday at hollywood presbyterian...she's doing good but the doctor wants to keep her there for some observations, i think it might have something to do w/her pacemaker...i'll update you with her condition...
Hi Sis! Happy Spring! I hope that everything is sailing smoothly with you and Pat esp. with his health. Thanks for the link to your blog. This is amazing and beautifully done, you never stop to amaze me with your creativity. You are always "kicking it up a notch". Thanks so much for sharing your life with me and being the beautiful sister that you are. I am so happy you and Pat found each other to love and be loved. I love you more than words. K'yaD.
Dear Kuya,
You give the best compliments in the world!!! Right back at ya... I'd like to think you passed on a lot of your creative energy to me. : )
Poutoux (kisses on both cheeks),
Michelle
Post a Comment