5.26.2008

Go Wings!

Hockey is my life and I still love the game so much...
Igor Larionov












What an amazing weekend it was for hockey town. Not only did our very own Red Wings make it to the Stanley Cup Final but they dominated in the first two games!

I'm not a big sports fan. I'm the kind of gal that would prefer a night out in the theatre over a sports game. Well, except for hockey. I don't know if it's because of having been exposed to this sport here close to the NHL's beginnings or the influence of my hubby and friend Matthew who has taught me to appreciate the sport. Nonetheless, I do enjoy all the excitement this game brings.

Looking back, there were two defining moments in hockey that proves my liking to this sport and makes me say, "Did I really do that?". My first hockey game at the Joe Louis Arena. I was super excited, not just because of the endless consumption of junk food, but to see in action all the well-known players in our team (Yzerman, Larionov, Federov, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Chelios, McCarty and so many more...). I have always found the fights between the players objectionable. So it was a surprise to me, well to my husband really, to see who was standing up cheering McCarty on when he was defending (yes, fighting) a team mate? I'm embarrassed to say, yours truly. The other occasion was my determination to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to watch the 2002 Red Wings vs. Hurricanes Stanley Cup Final made famous by my favorite hockey legend, the Professor for his triple overtime score. Yes, I was wide-eyed and alert while my poor hubby was falling asleep. This is true.

Perhaps there is a third defining moment to add. As you can see from the picture posted, I met the Professor himself, Igor Larionov. I couldn't pass on an opportunity for us (Matthew & Patrick) to meet a hockey legend. It was a memorable moment. Following his retirement from hockey, he now devotes his time in the wine industry and formed his own company. Passionate about hockey and wine? More reason to be a fan. Cheers to the Red Wings!

This is dedicated to Billy, our fellow hockey fan. We know you are cheering for the Wings from 2000 miles away too!

2 comments:

Jean M said...

Wings ROCK! This team so balanced...they have some of the best two way players in the NHL right now. Sid the Kid and Malkin got lots of cred...But Zetterberg and Lindstrom took care of business.

Billy

michelle said...

I almost jumped for joy thinking that this comment came from Jean! In the back of my head I was thinking, “I had no idea she knew the players!?”… Anyhow, so happy to see you dropped by. Totally agree with your thoughts on the players. Wasn’t it an amazing
finals? Although we were extremely upset about the outcome of game 5 which could’ve led us to celebrate the victory at home, it was great to see that both teams made the finals super exciting. While we’re on the subject of sports, my boys : )here saw Mark Munoz’s recent fight at UFC! I couldn’t believe it!