Christina Rossetti
It's half past eight in the evening and I couldn't resist not stepping outside in the cold. There's still daylight left and the sweet scent of lilacs was beckoning me to our yard. It's been over a week since they began to bloom, and they probably have another week of life left in them. In a strange way, I think they were reminding me of their brief life. So I gathered a small bouquet and surrounded them with lilies of the valley which are growing like weeds in one corner of our yard. I realized that since we've woken up from our winter hibernation, this was my first act of welcoming springtime.
Shortly after, I drove to our nearby bookstore to pick up a new copy of my favorite magazine Country Living (British Edition). It was fate. The cover featured a bucket filled with lilacs! I'm so excited to dive into the contents of the May edition. Although it's devoted to gardening, I think I'll start with the article on "A sense of simplicity", rustic charm in a French farmhouse and vintage style in a victorian cottage. Doesn't that sound lovely? This simple act of welcoming spring is a little reminder of how beautiful country living can be.
3 comments:
Good morning! The lilacs are lovely! Glad you had a chance to leisurely read your magazine. I enjoy those moments when I can actually sit down and peruse through one--it provides a brief moment of escape. You're just enjoying spring (at last) but it seems to be ending soon for us. It is not even 7am and the temp. is 82 deg F. It is forecasted to be a high of 101 today! Yikes!
Oh my! Did you ever get your AC installed? If not, I see another mall run for you and Andre today. : )
I know, can you believe that I haven't taken a good time out to enjoy all the blooms this spring? Thankfully, the blooms are taking their time this season, the poppies have yet to open. I see more pictures in the horizon! Take care and stay cool today.
Glad you came by to join us...
Thanks Sharon. I still owe you a bouquet. If the lilacs are gone by the time I get to making one, there will be peonies in the horizon for you. : ) Happy to hear you've picked up the magazine too. It's so much fun sharing these pretty finds isn't it? Anyhow, have a wonderful evening with your beau. I'm sure you'll both look fabulous. I look forward to hearing about it on Monday.
>>> Sharon 5/16/2008 1:49 PM >>>
Michelle,
I so enjoyed seeing the Lilacs and Lilies of the Valley photos. My goodness, it's just lovely! I also picked up the May issue of Country Living and will tell you it's going to be a favorite of me too.
Thanks for the yummy lunch!
sharon
Post a Comment