My one and only. He was recognized today for U of M's Linda Smrcka Memorial Award (A nurse who was struck and killed by a passing vehicle as she heroically stopped to help an accident victim). I wanted to share this nomination letter with you written by Terri Kennedy, R.N. from UM Trauma Burn ICU. Terri, who was also nominated was today's award recipient. Congratulations to you both!
Letter:
I think most critical care nurses can relate to the description shared about Linda's last day in the surgical ICU, an extremely busy day with no breaks. I can also imagine she left that day feeling good about her nursing care and ready to be home with her family. Her co-workers describe her as being a nurse who had a commitment to superior care, one who earned the respect of her peers by having a wonderful personality and attitude. I work with a nurse who has those same qualities about him. I would like to nominate Patrick Sarsozo, a nurse who works with me in the Trauma Burn ICU.
Throughout the years, I have watched Patrick grow into a true leader and team player. He comes to work each day with the attitude that tells me we are going to have a great day regardless of how busy we might be. He has an infectious smile that reflects his witty personality. Patrick gives exceptional care to his patients and speaks respectfully to the family members who can sometimes be a challenge.
When I think of that "perfect nurse" image I think of Patrick. He can bring up a topic that usually leads to some form of teaching without actually making it obvious that we are learning something new. Today for example, we relearned the cranial nerves and how each is assessed. He has great patience and understanding when mentoring new staff.
It isn't surprising that Linda stopped that tragic night; it wasn't in her to turn away when someone needed her help. It is now 8:30 p.m. and Patrick has yet to leave the unit because he believes I am still charting on my patient. That makes me feel somewhat guilty considering I am actually writing this letter but it also demonstrates the compassion and dedication he demonstrates to all his co-workers.
Sincerely,
Terri Kennedy
2 comments:
Good to hear from you Charles!
>"Walters & Associates, PA" 05/03/08 10:12 AM >
Congrats PAT!!!
Nice blog space.
CW
Wow, what a commendation! Congrats Pat. We're so proud of you! Continue to be excellent in all that you do.
Post a Comment